Club Skills Guide
The Club Skills Guide is a British Basketball coaching resource designed for clubs, schools and national league teams. The guide has been designed as the minimum standard of teaching and coaching basketball at club level in the UK and is available through the home nation governing bodies.
The Areas of Emphasis: Guidelines for Coaches
Clubs in England, Scotland and Wales all encourage participation in basketball, and also have the responsibility to teach the necessary basic skills as well as just playing the game. This teaching role is crucial for player development and ultimately the British Basketball player’s skill level.
The Club Skills Guide provides an overview of coaching and presents information and guidance on what to do and how to do it at club level.
There are four modules in the CSG which assist clubs and coaches in the planning, organisation, delivery and development of young basketball players.
- Club Coaching Guidance – Describes the role of the coach and club in each player’s development through teaching and understanding.
- Age Group Organisation – Identifies the stages of player development and how they fit within international basketball.
- Planning for Training – Details the priority for training and the relevance of competition , as well as keys to improving practice.
- Game Style and Principles of Play – Clarifies the phases, principles and priorities of individual and team tactics.
The club skills guidelines also highlight the specific development needs of the FIBA age groups- Under 14s, Under 16s and Under 18s. Each age group has different challenges for coaches, in terms of player readiness to learn. The CSG discusses these challenges which impact the training and preparation plan for any squad or team. The home countries offer various additional development programmes for players and coaches and at different stages of the pathway to assist club coaches beyond the CSG.
The Basic Skills Overview by Age within the CSG outlines the ‘what to coach’ of each age group at club level. There are Six Competency Checklists which specify the skills at each age group to help guide club coaches.
The club skills guide also features basic annual season plans for each age group to guide the teams development during the season.
- Under 14s Season Plan
- Under 16s Season Plan
- Under 18s Season Plan
The Coach planning, technical, tactical and physical development checklists within the CSG have been designed to assist club coaches with the respective age divisions of their team.
- Coach Self-evaluation and Planning Checklist Covers all AoE actions for coaches.
- Basic Skills Master Checklist – All the basic skills on a master checklist.
- Physical Competency Checklist – Movement and footwork, running, stopping, stepping and pivoting.
- Technical Competency Checklist – Passing, receiving, use of dribble and shooting.
- Individual Tactic Competency Checklists – For offence and defence.
- Team Tactics Competency Checklist – Checklist for team tactics in basketball.
Affiliated clubs, coaches and schools can access the CSG through Basketball England, Basketball Scotland and Basketball Wales.