The British Basketball Federation (British Basketball) is the National Governing Body (NGB) responsible for basketball in Britain and took on the International Federation (FIBA) membership role from the Home Country Associations in October 2016.
The BBF runs GB basketball in a federated model, under a board of management comprising of an Independent Chair, Independent Directors and representatives of the three member Home Country Associations (HCAs) of Basketball England, basketballscotland and Basketball Wales.
The goal of British Basketball is to create a world class elite basketball programme in Great Britain and to lead the overarching strategy for the growth of basketball in England, Scotland and Wales. It plans to achieve this by:
- Creating a sustainable financial plan in collaboration with the Home Country Basketball Associations, by effectively managing the intellectual and commercial properties of elite basketball in Great Britain, and to raise public and private funding for the execution of elite programmes.
- Developing a strategic and collaborative high performance strategy and World Class Performance Plan. This collaborative strategy will require engagement with other basketball and sporting bodies including the Home Country Basketball Associations, the licensed professional league and British Universities & College Sport to support and enhance the performance of elite players and Great Britain teams.
- Developing and operating a communications, marketing and public relations policy in relation to British Basketball’s World Class Performance Plan.
- Implementing and overseeing an effective selection process for Great Britain teams in FIBA competitions.
- Ensuring that a strategic framework is put in place within which competitions at Home Country Basketball Association level provide appropriate opportunities for the development of elite players on a British Basketball performance pathway programme.
- Licensing domestic professional competitions and leagues in Great Britain for both men and women that grows the standards, profile and following of basketball in Great Britain. For the avoidance of doubt, the Home Country Basketball Associations retain the right to exploit and license competitions and events which take place within their territory and jurisdiction.
- Bidding for and stage any of the competitions of FIBA or the Age Group competitions of FIBA as is seen appropriate.
- Collaborating with the Home Country Basketball Associations to establish and agree a strategic framework to help grow participation of basketball and strengthen Home Country performance pathways throughout Great Britain.
Other duties of British Basketball include:
- Affiliating to, and representing the interests of basketball in Great Britain within the BOA.
- Building relationships with, liaising and working alongside the British Government, Government departments, Government agencies, the UK Anti Doping Agency, the Gambling Commission, the Home Country Basketball Associations, relevant national and international sporting bodies, FIBA, professional basketball leagues and any other body or organisation it deems appropriate, in respect of the development of basketball in Great Britain.
- Affiliating to, and be a member of, FIBA on behalf of each of the Home Country Basketball Associations.
- Developing and maintaining an international relations strategy as well as developing British Basketball’s international policy positions.